People Share The Best Bits Of Advice They've Ever Been Given
Being able to benefit from people's experiences in life is such a wonderful concept that we often take for granted. Some people don't like receiving advice from others, which is really childish and shows how full of themselves they really are.
You can't progress in life without getting an outsider's perspective on what you're currently doing, it's way better than being in an echo chamber full of people who are agreeing with everything you say and disregarding the little flaws you happen to have. The people in the stories below were nice enough to share the best bits of advice they've ever received.
1. Make it worth something“There will come a time in your life where you’ll have nothing to offer someone but your word. Make it worth something.”
2. Always check your shoes“Probably “If it smells like shit everywhere you go, check your shoes.”
I’m much less of a miserable asshole these days.”
3. Be that person“Be the person you needed when you were young.”
4. It's totally normal“This was specifically when looking to transition to a significantly higher responsibility role, but I have found to be applicable to any time I’m facing a new challenge. “Don’t be worried if you’re not sure you can do it. You’re not supposed to be sure. If you were already sure you could do the job, you’d be bored within a month.”
5. Only you can do it“Life doesn’t change, unless you change it.
You can’t sedate your way out of a crappy life, you have to get up and make changes.”
6. Everything can disappear in seconds“Years of love have been forgotten in the hatred of a minute”
Really helps whenever I get into an argument with my friends or family.”
7. Words to live by“Your success will be largely dependent on the number of uncomfortable conversations you are willing to have – Reddit”
8. Keep it short and simple“One of my favourite teachers in Highschool told us:” If you need five pages to talk about 20 lines of poetry, you are obviously bullshitting me. State three well constructed arguments for your point of view and I’ll be happy to reward you for that. Claim. Reason. Proof. Nothing more.” He repeated that before every exam and it really helped me to boil my rather confused teenager thoughts into clear statements. I still think of him today while writing reports for work.
TLDR: Keep it short and simple.”
9. What a great boss“My first great boss told me “never make yourself indispensable or you’ll never get promoted”.
It’s worked for me.”
10. Any decision will do“Sometimes the worst decision is no decision. Sometimes you just have to make a decision, any decision, then make that be the right one.”
11. It's not about money“You can pay now, or you can pay later, but it’s almost always cheaper to pay now.”
It seems like a lot of people think this is only referring to money, it’s not.”
12. They showed their true colors“If you lend someone some money and never see them again, it was probably money well spent.
Got told this after I lent a friend $100 and the fucker dropped off the face of the planet.”
13. Life in a nutshell“Do something that makes you want to get up in the morning. Find someone that makes you want to go home in the evening.”
14. Respect yourself“Respect yourself enough to walk away anything that no longer serves you, grows you or makes you happy.”
15. Amen“Don’t make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option”.